Richard Monroe THOMAS
Richard Monroe THOMAS 3
Richard M Thomas was the heir of money received from the estate of Jonas Eisenhart, late of Chapman Township, Snyder County. Emanuel G. Seiler was his guardian for the handling of this inheritance accountant, since Richard was a minor at the time (Oct 1883). Jonas was Richard's grandfather. 9
Noted events in his life were:
• Education. 1 through the Sixth Grade.
• Occupation: Stationary Engineer at the Bear Valley colliery (coal mine), From 1881 to 1926, Shamokin, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. 1 11 He served in that capacity for 45 years, and 40 years of which he never missed a day because of ill health.
• Census: U.S., 13 Jun 1900, Coal Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. 12 The family resided at 1003 Mulberry Street, including 11 eleven children.
• Census: 1910 U.S., 30 Apr 1910, Coal Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. 13 The family still resided at 1003 West Mulberry Street, with 6 children living at home. All family members could read and write, and they owned the house they lived in, free of any mortgage.
• Residence: 1003 Mulberry Street, 3 Jan 1920, Coal Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. 14
• Organizations. 11 Richard was one of Salem Reformed Church's most influential parishioners, having been a member since its organization.
• Hobbies: music, flowers and nature. He was skillful in making things - very accurate. He was reported to be of excellent character. He enjoyed gardening and making things, as well as hunting, fishing, and sports. 1
• Will, 6 Jun 1924, Coal Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. 15 The Will gave everything in the estate to Richard's wife Amanda, who was named the executrix.
• Obituary, 1926. 11 His obituary refered to him as one of the community's best known and honored citizens. Richard was reportedly discovered deceased by his wife, Amanda, when he did not awaken for the breakfast she had just prepared.
• Probate, 29 Oct 1926, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. 15
Richard married Amanda HOCH, daughter of Thomas HOCH and Esther HEIM, on 22 Jul 1883 in St. John's United Church of Christ, Coal Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.1 2 (Amanda HOCH was born on 14 Sep 1859 in Barry Township (near Hegins), Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania 3 5 7 12 16 17, baptized on 29 Jun 1862 in Minersville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania,18 died on 28 May 1959 in Shamokin, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania 3 7 16 17 19 and was buried on 2 Jun 1959 in Shamokin Cemetery, Shamokin, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania 7 8 17.)
1 Record of [Thomas] Family Traits, form from the Eugenics Record Office, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Long Island, New York, dated as sent 26 January 1927, No. 54644, photocopy provided by Lee Thomas.
2 "99-Year-Old CT Woman Expires in Local Hospital", obituary from unknown newspaper or date, (Photocopy provided by Lee Thomas, PA.)
3 Letter from Dorothy Thomas to her nephew, Richard D. Thomas, Jr., Various Thomas family information, 2000, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
4 Richard M Thomas, Certificate of Death, File No. 107585, registered no. 574, 1926, Department of Health, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
5 Richard Monroe Thomas and Amanda Thomas Family Information, The Holy Bible, (Philadelphia: A. J. Holman & Co., 1883). Bible was originally Amanda's, passed down through children to greatgrandson David Thomas, Washington state, Births page.
6 Richard Monroe Thomas, Birth and Christening Certificate, 1861, scanned image from David Thomas, Washington State.
7 Joseph A Meiser, Jr and Sarah Roadarmel Meiser, compilers, "A genealogist's guide to burials in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania," Vol 5, Shamokin Cemetery, (Elysburg, Pennsylvania: J.A. Meiser and S.R. Meiser, 1985-1990); microfiche 6100180 (5 fiches), Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, 335.
8 Compiled by William R. Polan, Jr., in cooperation with Dave Donmoyer, "Shamokin Cemetery Company Burial Records, Northumberland County, PA, Surnames starting with "T" from 1866 through 1994," compiled 2002, online file, <ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/northumberland/cemeteries/scbrT001.txt>, downloaded 3 May 2004, Block 1, Range 6, Lot 14.
9 Pennsylvania. Northumberland County, "Account Book 10," Northumberland County Courthouse, Sunbury, Pennsylvania, 48.
10 Pennsylvania. Northumberland County, 1880 U.S. Census, population schedule, online copy, <http://www.ancestry.com>, National Archives micropublication T9, roll 1164, 4th Ward Shamokin Borough, Supervisor's District 3, Enumeration District 148, image 30 of 49, page 30, line 10, Daniel Thomas household.
11 "R.M. Thomas Found Dead At His Home Early Today", obituary of unknown newspaper or date, (Photocopy provided by Lee Thomas, PA.)
12 Pennsylvania. Northumberland County, 1900 U.S. Census, population schedule, online copy, <http://www.ancestry.com>; National Archives micropublication T623, roll 1448, Richard Thomas household, Garfield precinct, Coal Township, Enum. Distr. 115, Sheet No. 19, from film Roll 1448 Book 2, Page 41a.
13 Pennsylvania. Northumberland County, 1910 U.S. Census, population schedule, online copy, <http://www.ancestry.com>; National Archives micropublication T624, roll 1383, Enumeration District 54, Supervisor's District 12, image 53 of 75, Sheet No. 27 A, page 46A, line 43, Richard M Thomas household.
14 Pennsylvania. Northumberland County, 1920 U.S. Census, population schedule, on-line version from microfilms, online copy, <http://www.ancestry.com>, National Archives micropublication T625, Roll 1610, Richard Thomas household, Garfield District, Coal Township, Enum. Distr. 62, image 11 of 47, Sheet No. 6A.
15 Richard M Thomas, Last Will and Testament, Will Book 20, page 15, signed 6 Jun 1924, registered with Register of Wills on 29 Oct, 1926, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.
16 Judy Lynn Weaver, Email to Richard Thomas, RE: Update on Patricia Lingenfelter, 2 Aug, 2000; <JWEAVER@kellyadv.com>.
17 Amanda (Hoch) Thomas, Certificate of Death, File No. 48330, 1959, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Health, Vital Statistics.
18 Amanda Hoch, Baptismal Certificate, The old Lutheran Church, 1862, Minersville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylania. Scanned copy provided by David Thomas, 2004.
19 Richard Monroe Thomas and Amanda Thomas Family Information, The Holy Bible, (Philadelphia: A. J. Holman & Co., 1883). Bible was originally Amanda's, passed down through children to greatgrandson David Thomas, Washington state, Deaths page.